Friday, December 11, 2009

The Meeting of the Dogs

This poem is found in the front section of my novel, 'Twas the Bite Before Christmas.


The Meeting of the Dogs

The dogs they had a meeting.
They came from near and far.
Some of them came by Greyhound bus
While others came by car.

The purpose of their meeting?
To fill the world with glee
and put a brand new puppy
under ev'ry Christmas tree.

But a special hall was rented,
and the landlord did declare
he didn't want them running 'round
just pooping ev'rywhere.

So before inside that rented hall
the dogs could even look
they had to take their hineys off
and hang them on a hook.

Then once inside the meeting—
ev'ry mother, son and sire—
some cat, dressed in a dog suit,
began to holler, "Fire!"

They all rushed out, that pack of dogs.
They had no time to look,
to which type of hiney
they grabbed off its little hook.

They got their hineys all mixed up.
It really made 'em sore,
to have to wear a hiney
they'd never worn before.

Then, once the chaos ended,
so did the dogs' grand scheme,
and kids who'd dreamed of puppies
were left with just a dream.

It's also why you'll see a dog
give up a juicy bone,
to go and sniff and hiney,
to see if it's his own.

Merry Christmas to All, and to All a Good Bite!

LCK

4 comments:

Emma Rose said...

What a wonderful poem. Do you ever grant permission for someone to post it on their blog if they post your name as the author? I have a "dog blog" and I know that all of my readers would love to see it. If so, you could email me at 12muddypaws@rconnects.com and let me know.

LCK said...

Hi, Emma Rose.

Thanks for your feedback.

Feel free to post it on your blog. I've never claimed authorship; this is just my version of a ditty that exists in many forms.

I would appreciate you mentioning my novel as the source, though.

Thanks again,

LCK

Book Cove said...

Hi Lee,
This poem is wonderful!

My name is Teresa, I am contacting you on behalf of The Book Cove in Pawling NY. We would like to do a signing event with you! We love your books here at our store. 90 minutes by train north of NYC, we do a lot of author events and would love to feature you here at our shop. If this is of interest to you please email us info AT pawlingbookcove DOT com. Thank you!! Teresa

Kasha said...

Hey Lee!
Why does everyone on my latest post exclaim that it is too late to train their dogs. My dog is only a year old so I am hoping it is not too late to train her to poop in a certain part of the yard instead of just the grassy area. If you have a second I sure would love an opinion from the expert. It really really bothers me that we didn't take the time to train her properly when we first got her, but I had just given birth and my husband is gone a lot as a firefighter. Our dog deserved better I know.
Thanks for your time!
Kasha For the whole problem please see my post at:
http://trainingboerboels.blogspot.com